Magnolia


Magnolia

1-30-10

There are no good guys in Magnolia....nor are there any truly bad guys either for that matter. Just people...extremely flawed people. What we get to experience in the three plus hour journey of Magnolia is an exploration of the origin and full implementation of said flaws and how to maybe kinda sorta move past them. Make no mistake this is a character study or rather a lot of character studies. Why it might be kinda hard for some to fully appreciate this film is obvious. These aren't the most likable characters to study. Whats even more striking is that there isn't any cliche'd catharsis in the eleventh hour. So why the hell do I like this film so much? There are many reasons...first of all I like watching actors perform great dialog well. And kid you not you get a bunch of that here. Its not often I speak of enjoying "actors" but here I do. Add to that some great fucking cinematography and wonderful music and you get a film that is quite enjoyable even though on the surface it doesn't seem like it would be

No comments:

Post a Comment