The Man Who Wasn't There


The Man Who Wasn't There

3-15-10

This film more than anything is an example that its not the story told but rather how its told that is the most important thing. How said story is told can make the difference in that one movie forgotten or a personal favorite. In the case of The Man Who Wasn't There the story is primarily told by the films protagonist Ed Crane as performed by the remarkable Billy Bob Thorton.Crane is a decidedly dispassionate man and tells the story in a rather cold and precise manor. As such the film itself can seem rather cold as well. Though of course its not at all cold, on the contrary I find it to be sad and funny and ultimately having quite a bit to say about life as an average Joe. As Ed would say "I'm no expert" though I think the film makes some rather poignant existential observations on the modern condition. Though I could be wrong...who knows. Maybe I just like the gorgeous black and white cinematography, great performances and a fun noir story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment